MATCH REPORT: Morton 3-2 Dunfermline


Morton 3-2 Dunfermline

Jacobs (42, 84), McAlister (49); Murray (23), Nesbit (90+3)


By Ewan Boyle

With their third win from four and now a second win in a row, Greenock Morton were able to send themselves three points above the relegation places and four points behind the promotion playoff places in the Ladbrokes Championship.

As the weeks progress, the league gets even tighter and the uncertainty of the division is something which has enthralled many this season with all teams competing for majority of the positions in the league.

But it was time for Morton to put their name in the hat and edge further away from the relegation places after another solid performance from the Ton to ensure that all three points would be safe at Cappielow.

Under the pouring rain and in front of the brave fans who journeyed to the match, the Ton began their game knowing that a win in their match dependent on results elsewhere would see them join the pack of teams who were on 25 points with four out of the ten teams in the Ladbrokes Championship now sitting on this points tally.

The game began with a chance from the Pars on 9 minutes when a free kick was awarded on the right side of the pitch which Danny Rogers was able to palm over the bar and out for a corner.

A quiet ten minutes was to follow in the match as both teams who were contesting the game gradually began to find their footing for the next 70 minutes or so.

Morton goalkeeper Danny Rogers was able to pull off a cracking save on 20 minutes when a pass to the edge of the box from the Pars found the on-running Kevin Nisbet who’s curled effort towards goal was denied by the goalkeeper who palmed it away from the danger area.

There was lovely skills from Luca Colville on 22 minutes which gave the Ton midfielder the opportunity to send a low-driven cross into the box from the left side but it just couldn’t find any teammates for the finish.

The rain began to intensify and the heavens remained open but this wouldn’t stop the game from continuing as it would be Dunfermline who took the lead on 23 minutes when an effort from just outside the box from Gabby McGill was saved by Danny Rogers but the Ton goalkeeper couldn’t keep a hold of the ball which allowed Euan Murray to slot it home.

An important interception from Danny Devine denied the Ton of an equaliser on 25 minutes when a cross into the box found Kyle Jacobs but his header back across goal looked to have been falling to the feet of the experienced John Sutton before Devine sneaked in front of Sutton and cleared the ball away to safety.

Play on the dangerous left side of the pitch for Morton gave Lewis Strapp a close effort on 30 minutes when the youngster was able to edge into the box and send a ferocious shot towards goal which former Morton goalkeeper Ryan Scully was able to get a strong hand to and knock out for a corner.

Nicky Cadden did exceptionally well shortly after this on 31 minutes as he skipped by two of the opposition defenders but just as the ball looked to have meeting the head of John Sutton the ball was cleared out for a corner.

From this corner, Ryan Scully denied Morton once again on the equaliser as a cross in from Nicky Cadden found the head of the captain Jim McAlister who sent a thunderous header towards goal which Scully was able to palm away once again as the Ton continued to press the Pars.

David Hopkin then took the decision to use one of his substitutions on 34 minutes when Chris Millar was changed for Reghan Tumilty who was sent on for his first game since returning home from his loan deal at Jim Duffy’s Dumbarton side.

And it wasn’t long after this substitution that the Ton’s continued pressure was rewarded as a cross in the box from midfielder Luca Colville found the powerful Robbie Muirhead who was able to header the ball back across to the head of the enigmatic Kyle Jacobs who was able to finish the ball into the bottom right corner of the goal.

As the second half whistle was blown, it was almost an immediate response from the Ton to continue their push for the win as a lovely back heel from left-back Lewis Strapp gave Luca Colville the chance to play an inch-perfect cross to Jim McAlister waiting in the centre of the box to send a diving header into the net to put Morton ahead.

Despite taking the lead, the Ton did not stop their hunt for more goals in the game as a cross from Luca Colville on 62 minutes found Reghan Tumilty at the back post waiting for the header which the right-back was unable to direct towards the goal as it just narrowly sailed beyond the post.

Centre half Brian McLean was able to deny Dunfermline of an equaliser on 74 minutes when the defender was able to slide to block the shot which looked to have been heading for the back of the net.

With 84 minutes on the clock, the game was near enough put to bed when another fantastic cross in from Nicky Cadden found the waiting Kyle Jacobs who headered the ball into the goal to give the midfielder a brace in the match.

Shortly before the full-time whistle was due to be blown, Dunfermline did earn themselves a goal back when a magnificent free-kick from Kevin Nisbet went straight into the top corner but this would be the final effort of the match as the full-time whistle was blown.

This now puts Morton in 8th place with a Scottish Cup trip up to Perth to play Premiership side St. Johnstone next up on the cards for the mighty Ton.


Morton (442)

20. Rogers
6. Jacobs 4. McLean 30. Baird 16. Strapp
19. Cadden 7. Millar 8. McAlister (c) 29. Colville
9. Muirhead 21. Sutton

Subs used: 2. Reghan Tumilty (for Millar, 34), 12. Kalvin Orsi (for Sutton, 76), 18. Cameron Blues (for McAlister, 89)

Subs not used: 5. Grant, 17. Lyon, 28. Livingstone, 1. Ramsbottom

Booked: Millar (32), Muirhead (77)

Dunfermline (442): Scully, Comrie, Ashcroft, Devine, Martin, Dow, Paton (Beadling, 78), Murray (Turner, 72), Thomas, McGill (Ross, 62), Nesbit

Subs not used: Thomson, McCann, Gill, Edwards

Booked: Martin (81), McGill (59)

Referee: Barry Cook

Attendance: 1,470

⭐️ Star Man: Kyle Jacobs

image: David Bell