MATCH REPORT: Morton 1-2 Partick


Morton 1-2 Partick Thistle

Jacobs (30 pen); Jones (5), O’Ware (61)


It wasn’t to be for Morton on Saturday as they suffered a 2-1 defeat at home to Partick Thistle in the Ladbrokes Championship.

Prior to the whistle being blown to start the match, it was a fitting moment for both sets of fans to pay their respects to two supporters of each club as former Partick Thistle owner Colin Weir and Morton fan Sean Donnelly were both paid tribute to with a minute’s applause in what was an emotional moment for everyone involved.

It would be Partick who would be quick off the mark in the match as across goal from Osman Kakay allowed Alex Jones to run in with an effort on goal which put the Jags ahead at Cappielow on 5 minutes.

Nicky Cadden tried his luck from range on 7 minutes when his free kick from around 20 yards out just narrowly went beyond the post.

There was magnificent play from Morton on 12 minutes when Adam Livingstone done extremely well to find space on the left side to give himself a chance to send a low driven cross into the box which was stopped by Thomas O’Ware and sent out for a corner kick.

Morton came so close again to getting the equaliser at Cappielow as a mistake from Scott Fox set up the chance for striker John Sutton to finish it off but Scott Fox was able to do very well to deny Sutton of his opportunity on 23 minutes.

But after continued pressure from Morton, the reward finally came as a penalty was awarded on 29 minutes and allowed Kyle Jacobs to knock it into the bottom left corner to make it one all at that stage in the match.

Thistle were then able to hit the post through Osman Kakay on 38 minutes but the winger was not able to direct it towards goal.

Kyle Jacobs had a very close effort on 39 minutes when his chance was headered away by Thomas O’Ware just as it looked to have been challenging the opposition goalkeeper.

It was almost a moment of joy for the Ton as an exceptional piece of play from Nicky Cadden set up an effort from around 25 yards out which sadly just fizzed inches wide of the post on 57 minutes.

Shortly after this on 61 minutes, a corner in from Alex Cole found Thomas O’Ware who was able to nip in at the front post and knock it home to give Thistle the lead.

Nicky Cadden continued to challenge Thistle goalkeeper Scott Fox as he knocked the ball in the air for himself from around 20 yards out but his effort sadly glided just beyond the post once again.

A chance on 78 minutes for Morton saw Aidan Nesbitt skilfully set up the chance to pass the ball across the face of goal to Luca Colville who’s well-timed curled effort was held by Scott Fox.

It was another great piece of play from Morton on 80 minutes when Aidan Nesbitt was able to play a magic cross into the box to meet the head of Jack Baird but a goal-line clearance meant the hunt was still on for Morton to get the equaliser.

But despite the continued pressure of the Ton, all three points would go to Partick Thistle in Morton’s final match of the decade.

Morton (451)

20. Rogers
3. Welsh 5. Grant 30. Baird 28. Livingstone
10. Nesbitt 17. Lyon 8. McAlister (c) 6. Jacobs 19. Cadden
21. Sutton

Subs used: 16. Lewis Strapp (for Livingstone, 62), 9. Robbie Muirhead (for Grant, 67), 29. Luca Colville (for Sutton, 76)

Subs not used: 18. Blues, 1. Ramsbottom, 12. Orsi, 7. Millar

Booked: N/A

Partick Thistle (442): Fox, Williamson, O’Ware (c), Saunders, Penrice, Kakay, Cole (Palmer, 88), Bannigan, Cardle (Zanatta, 72), Miller, Jones (Harkins, 83)

Subs not used: Sneddon, McGinty, Robson, Slater

Booked: Fox (90), Cole (29), Cardle (30)

Referee: Craig Napier

Attendance: 2,742