Aidan Nesbitt: Annan performance was needed

Silky playmaker Aidan Nesbitt showed his joy following Morton’s impressive 5-0 victory over Annan at Galabank on Tuesday night.

The 22-year-old opened the scoring in the first half before getting his second towards the end of the game and believes the Ton have a real chance of going through in the Betfred Cup if they continue to build on the five star performance displayed against Annan.

Speaking exclusively to, Nesbitt said “It was a good win for us tonight. The boys played as a team from the first until the last minute and we were rewarded with a result like that.

“Teams sometimes struggle when they come to places like Annan but I thought we played well. Other than the 10 minutes at the start of the second half when we were a bit shaky but after that we were in control.

“The result was needed after the loss at Motherwell and it was a great chance for us to correct our wrongs in our group.”

Morton’s push for a fourth seemed to have taken a minor blip as Christian Nade was subbed on at half time and led the Annan strike force for the remainder of the game.

“When the big man came on we were just trying to find ways to make sure that we could handle him. He’s played at a great level of football so it would always be a struggle to come up against someone as experienced as him.

“They definitely played to his strengths but once we found our footing we were able to control Christian well enough.”

Group E will be brought to an end on Saturday with the final game being at home to Queen of the South and Nesbitt feels that the players are raring to go.

He concluded: “The boys looked sharp tonight and hopefully we keep it up going into Saturday’s game.

“It’s going to be a great test on Saturday because it’s the first time we’ll be playing someone from our league. It’ll be a great chance to see what we’ll be up against for the season ahead.

“It would be brilliant if we got the win because it’ll give the fans something to cheer about if we qualify and it will set us up nicely for the first league game at Ayr.”