Match Report | Peterhead 0-3 Morton


Greenock_Morton_FC_logo Peterhead 0 – 3 Morton

Waddell (10), R. Thomson (61), Millar (83)

Morton will face East Fife at Bayview in the fourth round of the William Hill Scottish Cup after beating Peterhead 3-0 at Balmoor in tonight’s replay.

The Ton were required to make the long journey to the north-east fishing port after they were held to a disappointing 1-1 draw by the Blue Toon in the original tie at Cappielow on Saturday.

Manager Jonatan Johansson made three changes to the team, and the trio of fresh faces scored the goals that secured safe passage to the next stage of the tournament.

Following a mammoth journey, during which the team bus broke down causing kick off to be delayed by 15 minutes, just three days after the original meeting, the first goal was always likely to prove imperative.

Dundee loan defender Kerr Waddell got it, bulleting a header into the top-right corner from a Michael Tidser corner to both open the scoring after 10 minutes and his account for the club.

Striker Robert Thomson took the injured Gary Oliver’s place in the starting line up to make only his second start of a camapign that has been blighted by a hernia problem, and he would play a key role in the second half.

Game over … Chris Millar converts to complete the scoring                     © Brendan McEleny

The targetman scored a vital second goal just after the hour by hooking a brilliant first-time shot into the bottom-left corner following excellent work from Bob McHugh, whose final ball was carred away from a defender by the wind.

Thomson turned provider seven minutes from time, briliantly flicking the ball round a Peterhead man and into the path of Chris Millar.

Experienced midfielder Millar rolled back the years to wrap up the scoring by raceing clear down the right, knocking the ball outside keeper Greg Fleming and finishing from an acute angle.

Besides the goals, this was a game devoid of notable incident and one contested by two teams battling against a wild wind for 45 minutes apiece, the hosts in the first half and Ton in the second.

A midweek replay with a delayed kick off due to travel issues on a wild wet and windy night in Peterhead had all the makings of a cup upset – but it was a test of character that this Ton team passed with flying colours.

Morton (352)

1. Gaston
2. Kilday 4. Buchanan 5. Waddell
14. Tumilty 7. Millar 8. McAlister (c) 12. Tidser 3. Iredale
11. McHugh 10. R. Thomson

Subs used: 25. McKeown (for Iredale, 89), and 22. Armour (for McHugh, 90).

Subs not used: 6. Telfer, 20. Bell, 28. Purdue, 32, R. Lyon, 23. Scully (gk).

Peterhead (352): Fleming; Eadie (Kavanagh, 63), Dunlop, J. Brown; Stevenson, S. Brown, Dow, Leitch (Ferry, 63); McLean, McAllister (c) (Kavanagh, 75).

Subs not used: Boyle, Home, Gibson (gk).

Referee: Gavin Ross

Attendance: 527 (Approx. 44 away fans)

⭐️ Star Man: Kerr Waddell


Images: Brendan McEleny