Match Report | Motherwell 4-0 Morton


By Ewan Boyle

Motherwell 4-0 Morton

Scott (22, 66), Hylton (76), Donnelly (82)

It was a night of disappointment and despair for Morton on Friday night as they were unable to control the impressively strong Motherwell side at Fir Park as they suffered a 4-0 defeat.

Peter Grant of Morton was the one to have the first chance of the game on 6 minutes as a free kick sailed to the back post where Grant was waiting unmarked however his header was not directed into the goal for the opener.

Morton still searched for an opening goal on 14 minutes as striker John Sutton attempted a lob from the left corner of the box however the ball was sent over the crossbar.

The early signs of dominance began to show for Motherwell on 16 minutes as Jamie Scott, who would go on to score two in the game, nearly got his first of the evening as he was able to re-direct a ferocious shot from one of his teammates however it leathered off the bar and went out for a goal-kick.

Sam Ramsbottom denied Motherwell of an opener on 18 minutes as the keeper did fantastically well to perform a double-save and eventually clear it from the threatening Motherwell forwards.

The inevitable Motherwell goal came on 23 minutes as James Scott was able to get his first of the night after receiving a pass along goal which he was able to send into an empty net.

Jermaine Hylton was arguably the most threatening player for Motherwell and he was able to have his first chance of the game as he burst into the Morton box however Ramsbottom was able to palm the ball away from danger.

An equaliser nearly came for Morton just before half-time when the ever-present Aidan Nesbitt was able to riggle his way past the Motherwell defence and shoot at a tight angle however the Motherwell goalkeeper did very well to get a leg to it and send it up the pitch and out of the danger area.

The second half began and Motherwell showed no signs of stopping their dominance in the game as an incredible effort from 25 yards on 61 minutes was acrobatically palmed over by Sam Ramsbottom and out for a corner.

From this corner, Sherwin Seedorf was able to meet a low-driven cross and attempt a shot at goal however the ball went just wide of the post and into the side netting.

Motherwell’s second came on 68 minutes as James Scott turned the Morton defender around 18 yards out and was able to send the keeper the wrong way for his second of the evening.

Two quickly became three for Motherwell on 78 minutes as a precise low shot from Jermaine Hylton curled around the keeper and down to his left.

The final goal of the evening shortly followed as Sam Ramsbottom misjudged the situation and palmed the ball to the feet of Liam Donnelly who slide the ball under the keeper’s legs to make it 4-0 to Motherwell.

Jim McAlister denied what looked like a certain fifth for Motherwell on 89 minutes however the experienced player was able to slide for the ball and clear it away.

Morton’s campaign continues on Tuesday night at Annan and despite the result against Motherwell, a qualification place for the last 16 of the Betfred Cup is still well within reach for The Ton.


Morton (433)

1. Ramsbottom
8. McAlister (c) 4. McLean 5. Grant  16. Strapp
7. Millar 17. Lyon 6. Jacobs
10. Nesbitt 21. Sutton 19. Cadden

Subs used: Cameron Salkeld (for McLean, 53), Robbie Muirhead (for Cadden, 65), Bob McHugh (for Sutton, 75)

Subs not used: 2. Reghan Tumilty, 15. Dylan Dykes, 25. Lewis McGrattan, 40. Christopher Wylie

Referee: William Collum

Attendance: 3,167

Star Man: Lewis Strapp