MATCH REPORT: Morton 3-2 Partick Thistle


Greenock_Morton_FC_logo Morton 3-2 Partick Thistle

Cadden (72), Sutton (77), McHugh (80); Miller (25), De Vita (28)


By Ewan Boyle

Morton produced another incredible comeback on Friday night against Partick Thistle after coming back from 2-0 down to win the game 3-2 in front of the Cappielow crowd.

A crowd of 2,197 saw goals from Nicky Cadden, John Sutton and Brian McLean give Morton a memorable win with the BBC cameras catching every magical moment.

The game got off to a nasty start as a clash of heads saw Reece Lyon being subbed off with serious concussion on 4 minutes and was replaced by Chris Millar in the centre of midfield.

A claim for a penalty on 7 minutes saw Bob McHugh go down in the box but the referee was quick to wave play on despite protests from the fans.

Veteran striker Kenny Miller had a big chance on 9 minutes for Partick as he raced through on goal alone after a long ball from Sean McGinty but Miller was not able to get his footing right and sent the ball well over the bar and out for a Morton goal-kick.

Playmaker Aidan Nesbitt had a slight chance on 17 minutes as Chris Millar was able to swing a fantastic cross into the box which saw Aidan Nesbitt attempt an audacious overhead kick which went beyond the post and out for a goal kick.

Deadlock was broken on 26 minutes as Kenny Miller made no mistake about another one-on-one opportunity as he sent the ball past Morton goalkeeper Danny Rogers after a long header from Sean McGinty from his own half to send Miller through on goal.

Just as Morton were getting a chance for a breather, Partick doubled their lead at Cappielow on 28 minutes as a cross into the box from Partick Thistle saw Raffaele De Vita thunder a volley into the back of the net after being left unmarked by the Morton defence.

Morton’s Kyle Jacobs went on a darting run on 42 minutes as he skipped by two Partick defenders and sent a shot on goal but it was not to be for the Morton player as the ball trickled past the post.

The hunt for a Morton goal continued on 58 minutes as an inch-perfect cross from Aidan Nesbitt was not met by the heads of any Morton player and went wide of the post.

It looked as though Partick were about to wrap the game up on 63 minutes as Alex Jones found space for himself in the Morton box but Brian McLean was able to block the ball from going in the net and sent the ball out for a corner.

On 74 minutes, the dream comeback began for Morton as Nicky Cadden sent a free kick sailing towards the goal which Scott Fox attempted to palm away but instead sent the ball into the net to give Morton a goal back in the game.

In quick succession, substitute John Sutton showed his importance to the Morton team as a corner into the box was met by the head of Bob McHugh who flicked the ball to the back post where John Sutton was waiting for the tap in, sending the Cowshed into scenes of madness.

But in typical Morton fashion, this game was not over yet as a long Lewis Strapp throw-in on 81 minutes was headered in by Brian McLean and saw the Ton players show their pride for the club in the celebrations that followed.

The full time whistle was blown and the on-looking crowd applauded off another proud and tireless win for the Ton as they now sit joint second place in the Ladbrokes Championship.


Morton (433)

20. Rogers
8. McAlister 4. McLean 5. Grant 16. Strapp
17. Lyon 6. Jacobs 18. Blues
19. Cadden 11. McHugh 10. Nesbitt

Subs used: 7. Chris Millar (for Lyon, 4), 21. John Sutton (for Blues, 57), 29. Luca Colville (for Grant, 68)

Subs not used: 1. Ramsbottom, 14. Salkeld, 9. Muirhead, 12. Orsi

Partick Thistle (4132): Fox; Williamson, Saunders, McGinty, Penrice, De Vita (Robson, 68), Bannigan (Cardle, 79), Palmer, Jones, Mansell (Gordon, 61), Miller

Subs not used: Sneddon, O’Ware, Niang, Golasso

Referee: Bobby Madden

Attendance: 2,197

⭐️ Star Man: John Sutton

Image: Gary Bradley