Match Report: Morton 20s 10-1 Banks O’ Dee 20s


Morton Under-20s 10-1 Banks O’ Dee Under-20sbanks-o-dee

Tennent (1, 56), Langan (6, 49), Orr (14, 38), Tiffoney (23), Purdue (30), Duffy (53), Docherty (73) – McPherson (64)

Morton hit double figures as they cruised into the fourth round of the Scottish Youth Cup in style with a 10-1 rout of junior side Banks O’ Dee at Cappielow yesterday.

The Ton side currently top Development League West, where they are unbeaten in eight matches, and took their impressive form into the fixture against the SJFA North Superleague champions.

It was clear it was going to be a walkover within the first minute when, with just 40 seconds gone, defender John Tennent headed Scott Tiffoney’s outswinging corner down into the bottom-right corner.

Tiffoney was the creator again on six minutes, flashing over a free-kick from wide on the right from which captain Ruaridh Langan forced over the line from six yards out.

The 18-year-old made it a hat-trick of assists with an inswinging corner that Thomas Orr did well to nod down into the net after finding space inside the box on 14 minutes.

Tiffoney then got himself on the scoresheet in the 23rd minute, showing impressive strength two hold off two challenges and then tremendous technique to fire a left-footed shot into the top-left corner from 18 yards.

As a cultured attacking midfielder, Jack Purdue demonstrated a surprise poacher’s instinct to score down at Stranraer last midweek, and he repeated that again yesterday.

When Banks O’ Dee goalkeeper Vitali Sahhalevits clumsily fumbled Mitchell Duffy’s hanging cross on the half hour, Purdue was first to react, pouncing to slide in and prod home from inside the six-yard box.

Hitman Orr has been in deadly form of late, having scored three in his last three outings prior to Sunday, and he took it to five in four with his second of the match, firing an angled volley inside the right-hand post.

Yet just when the 19-year-old looked to be recapturing top form after a dry run, he was the victim of a shocking challenge that saw him forced off injured on 41 minutes and later hobbling out of the stadium on crutches.

After going in six goals to the good at the break, skipper Langan made it a magnificent seven on 49 minutes by driving through the heart of the opposition and unleashing a rocket that ripped into the top-right corner.

Versatile midfielder Duffy added the eighth with a speculative strike from distance that span into the bottom-right corner after taking a deflection.

At the double … defender John Tennent blown away after bagging his brace © Ross Cameron

Defender Tennent had the Ton teens on cloud nine when he popped up at the front post to confidently sweep Duffy’s low cross from the right past keeper Sahhalevits to bag a rare brace on 56 minutes.

Despite literally struggling to get out their half for the entire 90 minutes, the Aberdeen-based side did manage a consolation goal on 64 minutes.

A lapse in concentration saw a simple ball catch out the Ton rearguard, and midfielder Mitch McPherson took full advantage, racing clear and drilling a low drive beyond Jamie McGowan.

But the hunt for goals was soon back focused at the other end of the field, and substitute Blair Docherty took Millen’s men into double figures with a fine first-time hit from 20 yards on 73 minutes.

Fellow sub David Anderson then won a penalty to present Tennent with the chance to claim a treble, but he placed a tame penalty too central and Sahhalevits saved to deny the centre-half his hat-trick.

However, it was still a tremendous day’s work for the Ton teens who totally dominated the entire 90 minutes and went about their business in a thoroughly professional manner.

Morton (4411)

1. McGowan
2. Hynes 5. Mitchell 4. Tennent 3. Strapp
11. Tiffoney 8. Langan (c) 6. Duffy 7. McWaters
9. Purdue
10. Orr

Subs used: 15. Docherty (for Tiffoney, 62), and 12. Anderson (for Duffy, 68).

Subs not used: 14. Eardley, 16. Miller, 17. Armour, 20. Connor (gk).

Referee: Connor Ashwood

Images: Ross Cameron