Match Report | Morton 2-2 Inverness C.T.

By Jonathan McQuillan

A late Inverness Caledonian Thistle goal saw Morton take a point from a hard-fought match with the Highlanders at Cappielow last night.

However, the point won could prove vital as the Ton travel to Falkirk on Saturday in the hope of distancing themselves from the bottom of the Ladbrokes Championship.

Despite starting well in the first half it was Inverness who took the lead just before the 20-minute mark through Anthony McDonald, who went on a solo run on the right-hand side, turned into the box to fire past Robby McCrorie.

The goal did little to dent the Ton’s confidence, however, and Michael Tidser did well to find room to get the ball into the box and put pressure on the Inverness defence.

Morton youth academy graduate Reece Lyon levelled the scores from outside the box as his left footed strike smashed into the right-hand side corner of the net.

Morton continued to press and Tidser and Reghan Tumilty caused havoc in the Inverness backline as they found space in midfield but just couldn’t get that killer pass through to the strikers.

Just before half time Gregor Buchanan was brought down in the box leaving referee David Lowe no choice but to point to the spot for a penalty.

Greg Kiltie had scored from the spot in the last outing at Cappielow against Alloa and he would do so again to put the Ton ahead.

Morton started the second half brightly as Jack Iredale went on a lovely run down the left-hand side and crossed into the box, finding Gary Oliver, who dragged the ball past the post.

Kiltie’s headed effort then went over Inverness keeper Cameron Mackay and looked to be going in until Shaun Rooney hastily cleared the ball off the line.

As time went on Inverness started to creep back into the game. Shots from Liam Polworth and Jordan White saw Inverness Caley look more threating.

Ton did well to soak up the pressure but the Caley pressure would pay off in the end when Polworth’s cross found substitute Darren McCauley who took the ball down and put it past McCrorie to equalise two minutes from time.


  Morton (352)

23. McCrorie
2. Kilday 4. Buchanan 8. McAlister
14. Tumilty 32. R. Lyon 12. Tidser 6. Telfer 3. Iredale
20. Kiltie 18. Oliver

Subs used: Millar (for Oliver, 74), and  Dallas (for Kiltie, 86)

Subs not used: Dykes, O’Connell, McKeown, McGrattan, Gaston (GK).

Booked: Tumilty (52) R. Lyon (84)

Inverness C.T: MacKay; Rooney, McKay, McCart, McHattie, Trafford (Austin, 78), Chalmers, McDonald (Walsh, 60), Polworth, Doran (McCauley, 78), White

Subs not used: MacGregor, Brown, Harper, Fon Williams (GK).

Booked: McKay (42), McHattie (84).

Referee: David Lowe

Attendance: 1,315

⭐️ Star Man: Michael Tidser


Image: Gary Bradley