Match Report | Morton 2-1 Queen of the South

Greenock Morton 2-1 Queen of the South
Nesbitt (19), Oliver (61) – Obileye (45)

Gus MacPherson recorded his first win as Morton manager on Saturday afternoon as his side ran out to a crucial 2-1 win victory over Queen of the South at Cappielow in the Scottish Championship.

The Greenock gaffer made four changes to the team that narrowly lost to Dunfermline last weekend with Darren Hynes, Gary Oliver, Kalvin Orsi and Lewis Strapp all coming in for Michael Ledger, Kazaiah Sterling, Reece Lyon and Craig McGuffie.

Youth academy graduate Hynes was handed his first start in a Morton jersey since August 2018 and he almost had the perfect re-introduction with a great effort from distance on 7 minutes. The defender collected the ball from around 25 yards outside the box and unleashed a ferocious effort that leaped just over the cross bar.

The intention from the ‘Ton was clear within the opening 10 minutes and Aidan Nesbitt forced Rohan Ferguson to make a save from a few yards out after the ball dropped down in the box, allowing him to snap a shot towards goal that the Doonhamers keeper blocked.

Nesbitt would not hesitate to take his second chance of the game though and the scoring was opened on 19 minutes in remarkable fashion. The 24-year-old’s out-swinging corner-kick from the right saw the ball go through a number of bodies to make its way just over the goal line, despite the efforts of Ferguson who tried to palm it out, to make it 1-0.

A very end to end half concluded with the visitors getting level on 45 minutes after Ayo Obileye caught Aidan McAdams out from 35 yards to blast a shot that went straight into the back of the net for his ninth goal of the season. The midfielder followed up his goal with a very powerful celebration, the symbolic raising of his right fist to call for an end to racial discrimination and inequality throughout society.

The second half started very much the same as the beginning of the first with the ‘Ton showing their drive and determination to get back in front. Aidan Nesbitt went close to getting his second of the game on 53 minutes after Darren Hynes dragged it back on the edge of the box for him to fire a short towards goal that was cleared off the line by the Doonhamers defence.

As the Greenock side continued to press looking for a way through to find the winning goal, their patience and attacking play was rewarded on 61 minutes when they went ahead. A quick counter attack up the park saw Kalvin Orsi play through Luca Colville out on the left wing who whipped an inch perfect cross into the box to meet the unopposed  Gary Oliver who, on his 120th appearance for the club, headed the ball passed Ferguson to make it 2-1.

Following on from the goal there wasn’t many real chances for the remainder of the second half as the ‘Ton managed to hold on to secure an incredible three points against a team close to them within the league standings.

Morton (3-5-2)
Fjørtoft McLean McGinty
Hynes Colville McGinn Strapp
Orsi Oliver

Subs used: 2. Michael Ledger (for Markus Fjørtoft, 27), 23. Kazaiah Sterling (for Gary Oliver, 83), 17. Reece Lyon (for Kalvin Orsi, 89)

Unused Subs: Muirhead, Salkeld, McGuffie, Blues

Booked: Fjørtoft (23)

Queen of the South: Ferguson, Gibson, Buchanan, Breen, Maxwell, Obileye, East (Fitzpatrick, 86), McCabe, Mebude (Dobbie, 68), McGrory (Joseph, 75), Shields

Unused Subs: Leighfield, Goss, McKechnie, Dickson

Booked: Gibson (27)

Referee: David Munro

⭐️ Star Man: 
Darren Hynes

Image: Gary Bradley