Match Report: East Kilbride 20s 2-2 Morton 20s

Greenock_Morton_FC_logo East Kilbride Under-20s 2 – 2 Morton Under-20s

Graham (40), Mitchell (60) – Durham (20), Langan (85)

Morton Under-20s followed up Sunday’s Scottish Youth Cup success with a hard-fought 2-2 draw against East Kilbride at a freezing cold K-Park last night.

In a quick turnaround, Darren Barr’s side returned to Development League West duty following the weekend’s 3-0 triumph over Turriff United, and the Ton boss made three changes to his side.

Goalkeeper Jamie McGowan was restored between the sticks in place of Charlie Carracher, while Under-17s midfielder Lewis McGrattan was handed his first start in place of Reece Lyon.

Fresh from picking up a winners’ medal in loan club Clydebank’s Sectional League Cup final success against Pollok, striker Scott Miller was selected from the start, with Cameron Hayes dropping down to the bench.

Central defender Nathan Durham retained his place in the starting line-up after scoring against the Highlanders, and he made it two in two in almost identical fashion after 20 minutes.

Midfielder David Anderson delivered another teasing free-kick from a position tight to the left bye-line that Durham again attacked aggressively, bulleting an unstoppable header into the net.

Deadly defender … Nathan Durham celebrates his second goal in successive matches    © Gerry Lafferty

But the Lowland League outfit ended the half on top and grabbed an equaliser on 40 minutes, Gary Graham enjoying a break of the ball 12 yards out and thrashing a powerful drive past an unsighted McGowan.

East Kilbride brought on trialist striker Geoff Mitchell – a 6ft 5in striker who had a spell with Alloa Athletic, for whom his last first-team appearance came against the Ton in August 2015 – at the break.

And Englishman Mitchell found the net within 15 minutes of coming off the bench, arriving at the back post to slam home a a low, angled cross from the right.

The Greenock men took a while to find their rhythm again, but by the final 10 minutes the home goal was leading a charmed life.

Sub Cammy Hayes side-footed wide following tidy footwork from Alexander Easdale, while Ben Armour headed a McGrattan centre against the face of the crossbar as the visitors pushed for an equaliser.


Skipper strikes … A partly obscured Ruaridh Langan fires home a fine late equaliser         © Gerry Lafferty

It duly arrived six minutes from time, skipper Ruaridh Langan picking up possession on the edge of the box and lasering a low drive into the bottom-left corner past goalkeeper Kieran Bell.

Langan then curled over the top while Armour saw a shot cleared off the line as Morton threatened to snatch all three points right at the death. It wasn’t to be, though, and they left East Kilbride with a point.


Morton (442)

1. McGowan
2. Hynes 4. Ben Docherty 5. Durham 3. Duffy
7. Anderson 6. Langan (c) 8. McGrattan 11. Purdue
9. Armour 11. Miller

Subs used: 16. Hayes (for Duffy, 46), 15. Easdale (for Miller, 64), and 14. Lyon (for Anderson, 64).

Subs not used: Eardley, Carracher (GK).

Referee: Ryan Oliver


Images: Gerry Lafferty