Match Report: Dunoon Amateurs 1-8 Morton

Greenock_Morton_FC_logoDunoon Amateurs 1 – 8 Morton

Langan (12, 24, 40 pen, 48), Miller (59), McGrattan (62), Purdue (72), Tiffoney (81)


Development squad skipper Ruaridh Langan hit four goals as a youthful Morton side recorded an 8-1 victory over Dunoon Amateurs at the Dunoon Stadium yesterday afternoon.

Manager Jim Duffy took a Ton Under-20s team across to the Cowal Peninsula to contest a charity match in memory of local teenager Asten Jones, who tragically passed away in May following a car accident.

Cappielow kitman Andy Bryan, a friend of Asten’s family, played a key role in organising the fundraising fixture, and it proved to be a hugely successful occasion with a fantastic turnout on a beautiful day.

Despite playing in defence, Langan opened the scoring with an outrageous mazy dribble that saw him slalom through a handful of challenges on his way into the box before rounding the keeper and stabbing in on the line.

The hosts shocked the visitors by netting a surprise equaliser against the run of play when a Dunoon frontman wearing the No.10 shirt fired past Jamie McGowan to level things up on 17 minutes.

Parity lasted just seven minutes, however, as Langan restored the Ton’s lead with a looping header that dropped in just under the bar from Scott Tiffoney’s outswinging corner.

Scott Miller replaced fellow frontman Ben Armour, who picked up an ankle injury, just after the half hour and made his presence felt by winning a penalty shortly thereafter.

High five … Scott Miller, wearing ‘Jones 18’ on the back of his shirt, clips home to make it 5-1 © Gary Bradley

He looked set to take the spot-kick but was overruled by the away dugout, from where it was decided that Langan would attempt to complete his hat-trick, and he made no mistake, sweeping into the bottom left-corner.

Not renowned for his scoring prowess, Langan was proving a prolific marksman on the day, taking his personal tally to four with a downwards header from a Jack Purdue cross three minutes after the restart.

Substitute Miller shared some of the scoring burden on 59 minutes, scoring with a chip from wide on the left to make it 5-1, before Under-17s midfielder Lewis McGrattan coolly slotted in a sixth.

Duffy rang the changes in order to give everyone a run-out and also reintroduced a number of previously departed players as rolling substitutes.

On 72 minutes, a recently returned Tiffoney cut Dunoon open down the left side with a mazy dribble before squaring for Purdue to control and tap in on the line.

And Purdue returned the favour nine minutes from time when he pursued David Anderson’s perfectly-weighted pass and prodded past the advancing Dunoon keeper, leaving Tiffoney to apply the finish touch.

After the match, captain and four-goal hero Langan was presented with a memorial trophy by Asten’s mum, Cathy Muir, to bring a close to a wonderful afternoon that we as a club were delighted to support.


Morton (4411)

Hynes Langan (c) Trialist Strapp
Eardley Anderson Lyon Docherty

Subs used: Miller (for Armour, 35), Purdue (for Tiffoney, 41), Duffy (for Anderson, 41), Durham (for Lyon, 51), McGrattan (for Eardley, 51), Trialist (for Docherty, 57), Trialist (for McGowan, 61), Easdale (for Miller, 75).

Referee: Chick Kavanagh

Attendance: TBC


Images: Gary Bradley

Full Gallery: GBR Photos