MATCH REPORT: Arbroath 1-0 Morton

Arbroath 1-0 Morton

Linn (74)


By Ewan Boyle

Morton continue their search for a win on the road in the Ladbrokes Championship following Saturday’s defeat against Arbroath.

Following the international break, the Ton were hoping to come back with a bang against Arbroath but despite the Greenock side having their chances, they could not find their first win away from home of the season.

Neither side began the game in a quick manner as the first notable moment of the match would occur on 17 minutes when a scramble in the box from a corner forced a shot to be blocked by Stephen Welsh and out for a corner.

Arbroath were the ones to have the ball in the net first in the game on 23 minutes but referee Willie Collum called the game back for a drop ball after it had struck him in the build up.

Morton would rue a huge chance on 27 minutes as a header from Kyle Jacobs after a Morton corner deflected out to an unmarked Peter Grant who’s shot could not find the target, sailing well over the bar.

The chances would not stop for Morton as a dinked pass from Aidan Nesbitt on 31 minutes sent through Kyle Jacobs who had a half-volley which went just wide of the post leaving the game goalless at this stage in the game.

Luke Donnelly’s effort on 34 minutes for Arbroath was an ambitious one as his shot from 25 yards proved no danger for Sam Ramsbottom.

As the first half ended and the second half began, Morton had an early chance when Nicky Cadden raced through on goal on 49 minutes but disaster struck as Cadden went down after what looked like an injury to the hamstring just as he was about to release a shot on goal.

Following Cadden’s substitution for Billy King on 50 minutes, it would be King who almost got the goal which Morton were hunting for as a well-worked corner set up a great chance for the winger to have an effort from the left side of the box but the ball slipped just beyond the post.

But to the dismay of the onlooking Morton fans at Gayfield, it would be Arbroath who took the lead as a fantastic free kick from former Morton player Bobby Linn put the Lichties ahead.

There were appeals of a penalty for Arbroath on 79 minutes as claims of a handball were rejected by Willie Collum who waved away the protests.

The Ton thought they had got a late equaliser on 90 minutes as a long ball in the box found Lewis Strapp who headed the ball past Derek Gaston and into the net but the linesman had his flag up for his offside.

With two home games coming up for Morton, the team will be hoping to right the wrongs and get important points in the next few matches to allow the team to gain momentum heading into the busy festive period.


Morton (451)

1. Ramsbottom
3. Welsh5. Grant 30. Baird 16. Strapp
10. Nesbitt 6. Jacobs 18. Blues 8. McAlister (c) 19. Cadden
21. Sutton

Subs used: 32. Billy King (for Cadden, 50), 17. Reece Lyon (for Nesbitt, 73), 11. Bob McHugh (for Blues, 76)

Subs not used:4. McLean, 7. Millar, 29. Colville, 20. Rogers

Booked: Blues (72)

Arbroath (451): Gaston, Thomson, O’Brien, Little, Hamilton, Stewart (McKenna, 63), Watley, Virtanen, Gold (Campbell, 63), Linn, Donnelly (Doris, 86)

Subs not used: Kader, Spence, Stirling, Jamieson

Referee: William Collum

Attendance: 1009