Morton 1 – 1 Arbroath

McGinty (90), Wighton (49)


By Ewan Boyle

Sean McGinty’s first ever goal for the Ton would be enough to earn a point at Cappielow in a 1-1 draw with Arbroath.

The game started in a fairly quiet manner with both sides unable to gain any major chances in the opening 10 minutes in the match.

Nicky Cadden’s cross proved a danger on 11 minutes when his in-swinging cross forced Derek Gaston to palm the ball away from danger.

Excellent defensive work from the Ton on 14 minutes saw Jack Baird block James Craigen’s shot and cleared the ball away to safety as both teams continued to hunt for the opener.

Arbroath almost took the lead on 24 minutes when Luke Donnelly paced through on goal however a great save by the left foot of Danny Rogers denied Donnelly.

The Ton did have the ball in the net on 28 minutes when a tidy finish from Nicky Cadden into the bottom right corner sent cheers around Cappielow but the linesman’s flag was up for offside.

A nasty collision on 39 minutes between Kalvin Orsi and Derek Gaston saw Orsi down with a knock to the face after it looked to have been the boot of Derek Gaston which impacted him however a foul was given the other way for Arbroath.

As the teams headed into the second half goalless, it would be Arbroath who would get the opener go the game to break the deadlock as Craig Wighton’s effort from just inside the box went into the bottom left corner to give the Lichties the lead on 49 minutes.

Lewis Strapp almost went close for Morton on 69 minutes when quick passing from the Ton set up Strapp with an effort from just inside the box which was blocked and cleared.

Within quick succession, the Ton had another effort on goal on 70 minutes with Kyle Jacobs attempting an effort from around 25 yards out but the ball went over the bar and out for a goal kick.

The Ton gained themselves a free kick around 20 yards out on 78 minutes but Nicky Cadden’s effort was comfortably saved by Derek Gaston.

Morton continued to put pressure on Arbroath with a lovely flick through from Bob McHugh which found Jim McAlister who just couldn’t control the ball in the box on 82 minutes.

Another big chance for Morton would come to the Cappielow side on 86 minutes when Nicky Cadden was able to send in a rocket of a low-driven cross into the box but no teammate was able to get on the end of it.

But right at the death, the Ton’s late pressure would pay off as a corner into the box was flicked on to Sean McGinty who was able to header the ball over the defenders and into the back of the net.

The point for the Ton could prove crucial towards the end of the season with the final stretch of games now commencing.


Morton (442)

20. Rogers
2. Tumilty 5. McGinty 30. Baird 16. Strapp
19. Cadden 6. Jacobs 8. McAlister (c) 10. Nesbitt
9. Muirhead 12. Orsi

Subs used: 17. Reece Lyon (for Tumilty, 45), 11. Bob McHugh (for Orsi, 65), 21. John Sutton (for Muirhead, 72)

Subs not used: 4. McLean, 7. Milar, 15. McGuffie, 21. Sutton, 1. Ramsbottom

Booked: Cadden (34), McAlister (90)

Arbroath (451): Gaston, Thomson, Little, O’Brien (c), Hamilton, Stewart, Virtanen, Hilson (Linn, 89), Craigen (Watley, 80), Wighton, Donnelly (Kader, 80)

Subs not used: Chalmers, Jamieson, Gold, Murphy

Booked: Stewart (79), Hilson (85)

Referee: Steven Reid

Attendance: 1,472

⭐️ Star Man: Lewis Strapp

image: David Bell